Serve @ Thornydale
5pm Normal Worship Service
Sunday, October 9
8:00am All Church Worship Service
8:30am Be transported to Thornydale Elementary by school bus or vans
8:45am Start serving at Thornydale Elementary
12:15pm Track Dedication with Thoryndale and New Life
12:30pm Lunch for everyone and dismissal
Zach Imboden at email@example.com or Kyle Fleischmann at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 520.887.6447
Why are we taking a Sunday morning to serve?
Because Jesus came to serve, because service is a beautiful form of worship, and because we believe, through prayer, that a day serving together will be good for all of us.
Why are we serving at Thornydale Elementary?
We already have an ongoing partnership with the school. Prior to school starting we provided backpacks and supplies for students, and manpower to help their facilities manager get ready for the school year. Some of our small groups adopted a teacher to encourage for the year. We supplied and packed weekend food bags for students to take home each week and volunteers help in the library and read with young students. We help families with food baskets through school breaks and help some celebrate Christmas with the Blessing Tree.
What can you bring?
- Work gloves
- A Shovel and Rake
- If you have a wheel barrow – let us know, we will collect them and take them to the school before the work day.
Details You Need To Know:
- We are accommodating all ages. We really want everyone to join in and serve our community together.
- Saturday evening October 8 we will have a normal 5:00pm worship service. Come praise God in song and worship in His Word.
- Sunday morning October 9 everything starts at New Life at 8:00am. We will praise God, have a short devotion, and get instructions.
- At 8:30am Sunday school buses will pick people up at New Life and take us to serve at Thornydale Elementary School. Buses and vans will circle back to New Life frequently so you can come serve all day or for 30 minutes.
- A light breakfast and lunch will be served. There will also be water on-site. There’s room to help with this too.
- There will be praise music playing and occasionally we will pause to pray for blessings over the school and everyone involved.
- Thornydale Elementary will invite students, parents, staff, and the community to join us. So we will get to serve the community with the community. Praise God.
This is a big step for us as a church. We’re taking a day to do service rather than talk about it. We know it is thinking outside the box to do church this way, but we are excited to see what God will do.
Opportunities to serve
There will be a variety of ways to serve; moving and leveling dirt for a new track, cleaning, and other service projects that kids and elderly can participate in. For those unable to travel by bus or participate in manual labor – church vans will drive you over to an easy access area where you can serve while sitting at tables. For those with children we really want to see families serving together – all ages. So we have family friendly ways to serve and we have a great team of children’s workers who will come alongside your family and work with you. There are helpers ready to hold little ones, work with toddlers, or do whatever needs to be done so that we can all serve together.